Category：Account Security > Recovery Phrase & Password
What is a valid recovery phrase
The recovery phrase is randomly generated in the process of account creation. Users can back up the recovery phrase through the "export recovery phrase" feature in the account management. This recovery phrase is valid on the blockchain.
If the recovery phrase is successfully replaced, the new one will take effect on the blockchain, meanwhile, the old recovery phrase will become invalid. An account will only have a valid recovery phrase on the blockchain at any time.
Three possible reasons for recovery phrase error
1. The recovery phrase you copied is correct and valid on the blockchain, but the input format is not following the format requirements, or you have entered a typo / near-character. Please check your recovery phrase carefully.
2. The recovery phrase you copied was correct and valid on the blockchain, but it was copied wrong because of improper writing or other reasons.
3. The recovery phrase you copied was invalid from the beginning. When replacing the recovery phrase with the emergency contact, you will be asked to copy and confirm a new recovery phrase, pass video verification, and wait for 30 days to take effect. The recovery phrase you entered may not be valid at the moment but you think it can be used directly.
What can I do now?
If your account has the emergency contact, you can replace the new recovery phrase, which is divided into the following two cases
1. Account is available: Me > Manage Account > Account Status > Replace Recovery Phrase - Emergency Mode
2. Account is unavailable: Import Account > Import via emergency contact
If you do not have the emergency contact, you cannot replace the recovery phrase.